How do I get access to information?


1.  Identify the Type of Information You Want

  • It generally helps to be as specific as possible in identifying the type of information you want.
  • Determine the appropriate public body that holds the information; government institution, local authority or health trustee

2.  Fill Out a Form

3.  Submit Your Request to the Public Body

  • Send your request directly to the public body.  Keep a copy for your records.
    • For a list of contact information for Access Coordinators within the Government of Saskatchewan, please click here.

Please note: our office does not process access to information requests.  Your request for information must be submitted to the public body that you are requesting information from.  If you require the contact name of the access coordinator for a specific public body not listed in the link above, please contact our office toll-free at 1-877-748-2298 or call 306-787-8350.

4.  Wait 30 Days

  • The public body has 30 days to respond (a public body may ask for fees before responding).

Not Satisfied?

If you do not receive a response within 30 days, or are dissatisfied with the public body’s response, you can request a review by the IPC.  Check out our document called Guide to Requesting a Review from the IPC for a list or reasons the IPC would undertake a review.

5.  Request a Review

6.  Submit Your Request to the IPC

  • It is our office’s preference that complaints be submitted by email to:  You can also submit your complaint by mail or in person to:

Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner
503 – 1801 Hamilton Street
Regina SK  S4P 4B4

  • Please include a copy of your access to information request and the response from the public body.

7.  Early Resolution

  • Once it is determined that the IPC has jurisdiction and grounds to review the matter, an Early Resolution Officer will contact you, ensure all the necessary information has been received and try to resolve the complaint informally.

8.  Make a Submission

  • If early resolution is not possible, an Analyst will be assigned to the file.  You will be invited to make a submission (i.e. provide relevant information to support the release of records).  You are not obligated to provide a submission.
  • The Analyst will attempt to mediate, or informally resolve, the review.

9.  Report and Response

  • If no mediated settlement is possible, the Commissioner will issue a report with findings and recommendations with respect to the release of information.
  • The identity of the applicant will not be disclosed.
  • The public body has 30 days to respond to the report and indicate if it will comply with the Commissioner’s recommendation(s).

Still Not Satisfied?

If you are not satisfied with the Commissioner’s recommendations, and/or the public body’s response, you can appeal to the Court of Queen’s Bench.

10.  Appeal to Court

  • The IPC is not involved in this step.  You may want to consult a lawyer.


Download Flowchart