Fee Estimate – Quick Calculation Guide
If a fee will be more than $100 a fee estimate is required.
1. Search Fee – Fee for time required to locate and identify responsive records
Fee: 15$ per half hour
- 1 minute to scan 12 pages of records
- 5 minutes to scan pages in one drawer
- 3 minutes per e-mail account (including copy another folder.
Search time includes:
- Staff time involved with searching for records;
- Examining file indices, file plans or listings of records (paper or electronic);
- Pulling paper files/specific paper records out of files; and
- Reading through files to determine responsiveness.
Search time does not include:
- Time spent copying the records;
- Time spent going from office to office or off-site storage to look for records; and
- Having someone review the results of the search.
2. Preparation Fee – Fee for time spent preparing the record for disclosure
Fee: $15 per half hour
- 2 minutes per page to sever
* In instances where the IPC Guidelines do not accurately reflect the circumstances, the public body should test a representative sample of the records for time which can then be applied to the responsive records as a whole.
Preparation time includes:
- Time spent physically severing exempt information from records.
Preparation time does not include:
- Deciding whether or not to claim an exemption;
- Identifying records requiring severing;
- Packing records for shipment;
- Identifying and preparing records requiring third party notice.
- Transporting records to the mailroom or arranging for a courier;
- Time spent by a computer compiling information;
- Assembling information and proofing data;
- Photocopying; and
- Preparing an index of records.
Government institutions cannot charge for the first 2 hours of search time and/or preparation time.
Local authorities cannot charge for the first 1 hour of search time and/or preparation time.
3. Reproduction Fee – Fee for reproduction of records
Fee: $0.25 per copy/print out
- actual cost of all other reproductions
- for electronic reproductions: actual cost of storage device.