Chapters 1 to 3 for the Guide to LA FOIP are now available!
Chapters 1 to 3 for the Guide to LA FOIP is now available! This includes:
- Chapter 1: Purposes and Scope of LA FOIP;
- Chapter 2: Administration of LA FOIP; and
- Chapter 3: Access to Records.
Local authorities will find helpful information in these chapters including guidance on such topics as:
- the definition of a local authority;
- records that are included or excluded from the Act;
- the role and responsibilities of local authorities, the courts and the Information and Privacy Commissioner;
- the burden of proof – who has it and the standard that must be met;
- offences and penalties under LA FOIP;
- the right of access;
- searching for records;
- the duty to assist;
- section 7 responses;
- severing records;
- fees and fee estimates; and
- much more!
We hope you find these chapters useful as you work through processing access to information requests.
In terms of progress, we are working hard on Chapter 4: Exemptions from the Right of Access. We anticipate having that chapter ready for release soon. Chapter 5: Third Party Information and Chapter 6: Protection of Privacy will be in the drafting phase shortly and should follow over the next several months.
If you have any questions or feedback on these chapters, please do not hesitate to reach out and contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.