Chapter 6 for the Guide to FOIP is now available!
Chapter 6 for the Guide to FOIP is now available! This Chapter is all about privacy and Part IV of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). Government institutions will find helpful information on each provision related to privacy and some underlying principles including but not limited to:
- Foundational privacy concepts and principles.
- What qualifies as personal information.
- The rules around collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
- The duty to protect personal information.
- Best practices for dealing with a possible privacy breach.
- Access to one’s personal information (section 31).
- The right of correction (section 32).
- Privacy Impact Assessments.
- Records management best practices.
This new Chapter deals exclusively with privacy and the sections related to it in FOIP. Part IV and privacy comprise a very large portion of the Act and this Chapter is our most extensive.
To assist government institutions, Chapter 6 also has a section that focuses on current privacy issues. This section will be updated as new issues arise.
We hope you find this Chapter useful as you work through the handling of personal information and privacy matters under FOIP. Chapter 6, which has been converted into a flipbook can be found here. For a short tutorial on using flipbooks, please refer to our recently posted blog Flip These Resources.
In terms of progress, edits to Chapter 5 for the Guide to LA FOIP are coming soon. We are also working hard on a Chapter 6 – Protection of Privacy for the Guide to LA FOIP and anticipate having it completed within the next month or two. We will also be working on updating Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Guide to FOIP and LA FOIP shortly after.
If you have any questions or feedback on this new Chapter, please do not hesitate to reach out and contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.